Sunday, May 29, 2011

You Learn Something New Everyday

I have a lot to learn about triathlon. Some of what I learn comes from my own experiences, and some of it comes from the people I train and race with.

This morning a couple of fellow NTM members shared breathing techniques which really helped me with a side stitch I was having. Short breaths in, long breath out. Worked like a charm.

I also tried Honey Stinger with "ginsting" gel during this morning's long run instead of the usual Gu I use. The Honey Stinger gave me the boost I needed within a couple of minutes, and it was easier on my stomach. I will definitely "bee" buying more of that! I've also been hearing that Fig Newtons are pretty good to eat on the bike. Maybe I'll try that one soon. I need a solid nutrition plan in place for Austin.

Today I also learned that my Zoot running shorts are probably not good for long runs when it's hot out. I had my first chaffing experience. Knowing I was chaffed, I went ahead and hopped in the shower after my run. I was not prepared for degree of pain I was about to endure. Roxy, my sweet little dog, got a little nervous when she heard the screams coming from the shower. I guess knowing where to apply the Shammie Butter is more of a trial and error thing. Tomorrow I have a bike ride and plan on slathering myself good. For now, a little Boudreaux's Butt Paste seems to be doing the trick. No one said this was a glamorous sport.

"If you think you have things under control, you're not going fast enough."
--Mario Andretti

No comments:

Post a Comment