Monday, May 30, 2011

It's All Uphill From Here

If someone had told me a year ago that I would be training for a Half Ironman, I wouldn't have even know what they were talking about.  I probably could have guessed the 3 disciplines in a triathlon, but that's about it.  I wouldn't have believed that I would be running and swimming...and liking it. 

Over this 3 day weekend I was able to get a lot of training in.  On Saturday I did my usual CK ride, but this time we stopped and ran a 5K a litte more than half way through the ride.  This was a nice way to get a little brick workout in.  On Sunday I ran 7 miles 4 other NTM members.  One of them just completed her first Ironman last weekend (go Kathy), and the other 3 are getting ready for Ironman Cozumel in November.  Today I road 30 miles with NTM and enjoyed some pizza with everyone after the ride.  I did get behind the group a few times today, but was able to catch up.  Saturday's ride was a different story.  I do just fine until I hit a hill.  Those darn hills!!  I do feel that I am starting to get a little, and I mean a little, stronger on them, but everyone else is also getting stronger, which makes keeping up a challenge.

On today's ride I got to talk with Mike.  He completed his second Iroman last weekend.  He has also done Austin 70.3, so I got to pick his brain.  I would have asked more questions, but I was working pretty hard to keep up.  He was nice enough to stay back and offer tons of advice.  He even offered to help me with my training plan.  This is what I love about being part of such an amazing tri group.  Everyone is super supportive and more than happy to share what they know. 

I'm beginning to wrap my brain about what I am getting ready to do.  I've been thinking about how I will feel as I'm getting ready to start my swim (you know...like I'm going to puke) and about crossing the finish line.  I'm now begining to think about the 56 mile bike and the fact that I have to run a  half marathon afterwards.  I ran a half marathon 2 months ago, and it hurt like hell. It will take a lot of work, a lot of time, and a lot of focus to get ready for this race.  It won't be easy, and may not always be fun, but I am excited for this challenge.  First thing I need to do is schedule a bike fit.  Since getting my bike last August, I bought new shoes and added aero bars (so I can be fast) so things are probably bit off.  I think this may have something to do with the numbness in my right foot I've been feeling when I ride. 

I know I need to be thinking about the swim, but I'm putting that off until next weekend. The pool, and I don't mean a lap pool, and mojitos are calling my name. 

Life, to me, is a series of false limits and my challenge as an athlete is to explore those limits."—Lance Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment