Monday, May 23, 2011

Pulling the Trigger

Well, today I did something I've been trying to convince myself NOT to do my first triathlon season.  I signed up for a half Ironman.  On October 23 I'll be competing in Ironman 70.3 in Austin, TX.  This is exactly 5 months or 152 days away.  I chose Austin for 2 reasons: date and proximity.  October is a good time of  year for me, and it gives me 5 months to prepare. Austin is also only a few hours away, so I won't have to spend a lot of time traveling. I don't know much about Austin, but I do know that it's hilly. 

This race consists of a 1.2  mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run (half marathon). While I have been cycling for a few  years, I'm not very strong on the hills.  In fact, they kill me!  There will be lots of hill work in my future.  I recently completed a half marathon, so I do have experience with this running distance...just not after biking 56 miles of rolling hills.  The swim!  I've been swimming less than 5 months.  My first open water swim in a race was a disaster. I'm not being modest when I say this.  Swimming in a pool vs. swimming in open water is very different.  The swim will be my biggest challenge!

I haven't figured out a training plan yet.  From what I read, 20 weeks seems to be enough time to prepare.  This means I have 2 weeks to figure out what my 20 week plan will look like.  Luckily I train and race with an amazing triathlon group, North Texas Multisport (NTM), so I have lots of brains to pick.  Without the support I get from these people, I wouldn't even consider doing something like this.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it." - stolen from Ironman facebook post

No comments:

Post a Comment