Monday, October 10, 2011

Less Than Two Weeks To Go!!

This past weekend I went back to my home town of Eunice, La for my high school reunion.  My class was being honored at this years' Homecoming, and it was the 100th anniversary of the school.  I did run this by my coach first to make sure it wouldn't mess up my training too much since my half Ironman is only 2 weeks away.

I drove in to Eunice on Thursday night and laid low at my parents house.  On Friday morning I woke up and headed out for a two hour run.  I didn't realize just how small Eunice actually is until I had to do my long run there.  I had an idea of where I would run, but I ended up having to make up the route as I went along.  I ran by some of my old stomping grounds, including my school and the clothing shop I worked in. The clothing shop is now the patio to the restaurant next door. I even went by my dad's shop to refill my water bottles and say hi.  My run was awesome.  The weather was beautiful and the roads were pretty flat.  Lots of people that I didn't know waved as I passed by.  One man even stood at the edge of his drive way and gave me a big thumbs up, and then he threw out his hands and said, "Wow, what beautiful weather for a run!"

When I finished my run my mom fixed me a hot breakfast while I showered.  She even ironed some clothes that I would be wearing later.  Thanks Mom!  Typically I rest for a while after my long run, but not this day.  I had less than an hour to get ready and head out for the Homecoming festivities.

I spent the day catching up with my high school friends.  I even decided to take advantage of the drive-thru Daiquiri Shack around noon before heading to a get together at someone's house. In Eunice, noon is a perfectly acceptable time for an adult drink.  Because we were the honored class, we got to ride in the parade.  We hopped on the float (trailer with hay) a couple of hours before the parade started, and I don't think we got off the float until close to 10:00.   We really had a great time, but I was completely exhausted.  I drove home Saturday and was thankful that I didn't have any workouts planned for the day.

Yesterday, I had my last big training day.  I struggled to stay motivated during the hour swim, and my legs weren't feeling so hot during the bike ride. I was still a little tired from my trip and my legs were still punishing me for running around in dinky little flip flops all day after my long run.  To top things off, I got my first flat.  I ran over a rock on the road and knew right away that it wasn't good when I heard the sound of the air escaping from my tire.  We pulled over and Jeneen immediately took charge and helped me change my flat.  Ok, she actually changed it and I helped a little.  Thanks Jeneen!! After the bike ride, we headed out for a 30 minute run.

I need  to be extra good to my body over the next couple of weeks to ensure I'm in tip top shape for the race.   I've decided that comfort and support trumps cuteness when it comes to my shoes. I will resist the urge to visit the new Raisin' Canes that just opened up in my neighborhood. There will be no ice cream or Nutella in my house, and I will get more sleep.  I alway say I'm going to get more sleep and it doesn't seem to happen, so we'll see.

Last night my coach told me that it was time to start writing my race plan. To be honest, I was a little overwhelmed thinking about it.  There are so many details to consider. This will be the first race I'm having to travel, so that adds a whole new piece to my race plan.  Nearly 5 months of preparation is all coming down to one day. As Eminem says, "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow..."   When I start to feel stressed over the race, I have to remind myself that this is a gift.  Not everyone gets to do what I'm doing. I get to go after one of my dreams!! I'm doing this because I WANT to do it...not because I HAVE to do it.  God has been so good to provide me with EVERYTHING I need to make this happen.  How lucky am I!!


"Our limits may not be where we think they are." - Chrissie Wellington, 4 time World Ironman Champion

No comments:

Post a Comment