Sunday, October 16, 2011

It's the Final Countdown!!!

In exactly one week I hope to be basking in the joy of finishing my first half Ironman. Despite finalizing my race plan and the fact that I'm tapering, I don't think I've fully wrapped my brain around the fact that it's almost here.  This week is going to be a very busy week at work, but I'm hoping that will help to keep me from over-thinking the race. The distraction will probably be good for me because I'm sure I'll start to get very nervous as October 23 gets closer.

I'm feeling pretty good about race. Its funny that five months of training all come down to a single day.  Anything can happen that day. Hopefully I can keep a clear head and stick and to my race plan. A cheat sheet will be taped to the top tube of my bike and possibly written on my arm. Since I began my official training with a coach in mid June, I have swam over 53 miles, biked over 1,300 miles, and ran over 220 miles. I've stayed virtually injury free (thanks to my chiropractor), and I've only  had one flat tire. If  you read this before my race, please say an extra prayer that I don't get a flat on race day.

This week I  have some easy workouts planned.  The race wheels that I'm renting should be here on Tuesday, so I can test them out before the weekend.  I'm pretty excited about them! I'll have Zipp 808s on the back and 404s on the front...and yes, I know what that means.  If nothing else, they will make me LOOK cool and fast.  I get to eat lots of carbs this week!  In fact, I started by inhaling the spaghetti and meat sauce I picked up for lunch today.  My coach told me to add a little extra salt to my food this week.  OK!!  Most people are told to reduce their salt and carbs...not me!!  I guess this helps make up for all the days I've had to get up at 4:15.  Hydrating will also be important this week.  I have some tablets, called Nuuns,  I can add to my water for extra electrolytes.  They fizz up like Alka-Setlzer.

"The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself." Mary Schmich

No comments:

Post a Comment