Friday, December 30, 2011

Year End Review

2011 is coming to close and I can't help but think about how good the year has been to me.  This year did not turn out at all like I expected....it was better! No, not everything in my life turned out as I had hoped.  There was disappointments and obstacles, but in the end there were far too many amazing things that over shadowed them.

I began the year with a goal of completing my first triathlon.  I had no idea how this decision would impact me.  I did know how much I would love the sport. Honestly, I didn't even have a clear plan on how I would make it happen.  Somehow, it all fell into place, and I had the opportunity to cross the finish line 9 times this year.  There were 7 triathlons, one half marathon, and a relay.  Each and ever finish was special for a different reason.  In each race there was always a little doubt looming over me.  Doubt in my swim, doubt in my run, doubt in my own strength. Each time I was able to overcome the doubt, and each time I crossed the finish line a little bit stronger.

During my first year of triathlon I developed some unexpected, yet wonderful,  friendships; gained 10 pounds;  mentally and physically pushed myself farther than I ever dreamed possible; and learned lessons in perseverance. At times I questioned my own sanity and asked myself, "Did I REALLY pay money to do this?" There was a little blood, a lot of sweat, and some tears throughout the year, but there were no regrets.  Well, I guess I regret the 10 pounds.  

Since finishing the half Ironman in October, my volume of training has gone way down.  I guess you can say I'm shedding my fatigue from the season.  While it has been nice to take a step back from the intense training,  I am looking forward to getting ready for Ironman in the new year.  Yesterday I went on nice 25 mile ride with a couple of friends.  It felt so good to be back on my bike, and it made me more excited for the season to come.  Afterwards, I went over to CK Sports spend the gift certificate I won from North Texas Multisport that was burning a hole in my pocket.  I'm so excited to start the 2012 season with a new pair of tri shorts and a lap counter for the pool!!

I will always cherish the memories of 2011, and I'm excited to see what 2012 has in store.

"In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."~ Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment