Sunday, July 1, 2012

Just a Lot of Training...And I Like It

The big race is 4 1/2 months away and my Ironman training is really moving along.  This week I completed almost 16 1/2 hour of training....that's a lot of swimming, biking, and running.  Most days I get up early and train, go home and take a nap, and then I train some more.  My whole day seems to revolve around my training schedule.  It's like being a professional triathlete without the sponsorships and free stuff.  Going back to work in August is really going to throw a wrench into my training schedule. 

The last two Saturdays have consisted of 5 hour bike rides.  On Friday my legs were pretty tired and a little sore, but they really came through for me over the weekend.  Due to the heat I'm having to start my long rides as soon as the sun comes up...that means wheels down at 6:15.  Most people don't want (or need) to start that early, so I start off by myself and meet up with others later.  I love riding early in the morning.  Everything is quiet.  It's a nice way to start a long morning in the saddle.

This weekend I tried out a new route just to shake things up a bit.  I had some friends join me for part of the ride, but they aren't on the 140.6 training plan so they cut out early.  I got into a zone and ended up missing a turn.  Luckily I figured it out before I got off course too much and was able to get myself back on track.  At one point I ran into my coach.  He rode with me for a while and kept me company.  It was nice to get to ride with him and talk about my training. He eventually split off from me and I finished up my last hour of riding alone. I rewarded myself with a Cookies-n-Cream Muscle Milk and a couple of breakfast brisket tacos...can you say YUMMY!

This morning I wrapped up my training week with an open water swim, a 75 minute bike ride, and a 15 minute run. I do feel pretty good after this week of training, but I have to admit that I am a little tired.  This next week is a recovery week so I won't have as much training. My body gets to rest and recover so I can begin the insanity all over again.

Last summer my mind and body was trying  to adjust to this new training regimen.  I couldn't stop eating, and something on my body always seemed to hurt.  I'm happy to report that my appetite seems to have settled to a level that no longer embarrasses me. I've shed the extra weight that I gained training for the half Ironman, and I'm feeling great.

This journey isn't easy, but I love it.  I can feel myself getting stronger by the week.  While this is a good thing, I don't always feel...well...very girly.  The other day I was doing my strength training at the gym.  I wasn't wearing any makeup and my arm muscles were looking particularly muscular that day.  As a single woman, that really wasn't the look I was going for. I'm going to make a conscious effort to put on a little makeup before going to the gym.  I'm even thinking of brining my own weights that are sparkly and have pretty ribbons tied to them.  I am still a girl, and I want to make sure that my femenine side doesn't get lost in Ironman! I also need to look into pink chain grease.  Somehow I think it will look less dirty when it gets all over my legs. 

"What am I on...I'm on my bike 6 hours  day busting my ass." Lance Armstrong

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Amy..I enjoy reading these. You have looked really strong the past two weekends and your training is paying off. You are absolutely gonna crush IMAZ!!!

    ReplyDelete