Sunday, August 21, 2011

Michael Phelps Can Rest Easy!!

Learning how to swim has definitely been the hardest part of becoming a triathlete.  I remember the day I walked into the swim swim shop in January to buy my first swimsuit that was actually made for swimming.  I felt like I was in another world.  I had absolutely no clue where to even begin.  Luckily, a nice woman working there explained everything and helped me choose a suit, cap, and goggles.  I don't think I had ever owned a pair of goggles, and I definitely had never worn a swim cap.  I didn't even know how to put one on.

A couple of days later I showed up for my first swim lesson.  It was a two hour swim clinic hosted by Triple Threat Tough, and I was so nervous. While I knew how to swim, or rather move from point A to point B in the water, I  knew nothing about proper form and technique.  The coaches, Kristen and Tommy (Tommy is now my amazing personal coach), were very patient with me.  They taught me so much in just two hours.  There was so much to think about....head down, elbow up, kick, don't kick too much, breathe, reach. 

Shortly after the clinic I joined North Texas Multisport and began going to masters swim with several of the other members.  I showed for my first swim practice and was shocked to learn that I would be swimming in an outdoor pool.  It was January and about 40 degrees.  I remember thinking, "What the hell have I gotten myself into?"

At this point I didn't know any of the people I was swimming with, so each practice was a humbling experience.  My movements in the water somewhat resembled swimming, but I'm not sure you could actually call it "swimming."  Everyone else seemed to glide through the water beautifully.  I was impressed  that they could swim to the end of the pool without stopping and then turn around and swim back.  I had to stop and hold on to the ropes in the middle of the lane. Coach Carlos modified everything I did for the first 2-3 months.  As the weeks went on I got to know my fellow swimmers, and eventually a couple more people showed up who had as little experience in the water as I.  We had our own lane that I often refered to as the Guppy Lane. It took a few months, but I eventually got the hang of this whole swimming thing. 

At this point in my training I usually go to swim practice two morning a week with Triple Threat, and then my coach gives me an additional swim workout that I can do on my own. I'm happy to report that I no longer swim in the Guppy Lane, and I'm not the slowest person in my lane.  Sometimes in the middle of practice I look out at the pool full of swimmers and can hardly believe that I'm a swimmer.  It's nice to finally be able to hold my own in the pool.  The coaches are no longer modifying anything for me.  They are still giving me advice on making my stoke more efficent, and it is getting better.  My shoulders and arms are even begining to look like those of a real swimmer.  Don't get me wrong, you won't see me exiting the swim first in a race, nor will you see me competing along side of Michael Phelps. 

People have told me that they would do a triathlon if it weren't for the swimming.  I guess those people don't really want it that bad.  Swimming is not easy.  You can't just stop when you get tired...you'll drown.  Like many things in life, it takes work.  There were many days in the pool when I didn't think I would ever get it.  Like I said, it took months of working on my stroke and building my endurance to feel comfortable.  The 1.2 mile swim of my half Ironman still makes me nervous.  That feeling probably won't go away, so I'll use it to motivate me when the alarm goes off at 4:30 AM for swim practice.  Sure, I can turn off the alarm and get another hour or so of sleep, but 1.2 miles isn't getting any shorter. 

"There is no failure, only feedback." Mark Allen

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I'm glad to read somebody was where I am at now, and has become a "swimmer". I definitely am having doubts about being able to swim 1.2 miles on March 31....I will continue to push on.

    ReplyDelete