Monday, June 27, 2011

In the Zone

I just finished up my second week of training since hiring a coach. I love having someone else lay out my training plan for the week.  After my workouts, I download my data from my Garmin to the computer.  This is what keeps me accountable!  My coach can see where I ran or rode my bike, my speed, time, and heart rate zones throughout the workout. It makes it kind of hard to lie about what I did. 

The biggest change in my training, besides the volume, is training in certain heart rate zones.  I used to get out there and run and bike as fast as I could for as long as I could.  It usually didn't take too long to bonk.  Now my goal is to maintain certain heart rate zones.  At first this was very frustrating, but I'm getting used to...and even liking it.  I did a lot more training on my own this week because training with a group is pretty hard for me when I have to keep my heart rate in check.  This is particularly true on the bike.  If I'm going to keep up with the group, my heart rate is going to be way too high.  My coach says that this will make me faster and stronger.  I do find that I am able to get through my workouts, including a 2.5 hour bike, without being completely dead at the end when I stay in my steady state heart rate zone. This also allows me to train several days in a row.

Last week I logged over 13 hours of training, but this week the plan is about 7 or 8.  Right now I'm pretty motivated in regards to my training, but I'm wondering if I'm going to have this same fire in a couple of months.  I have to keep my eye on the prize...the finish line of Austin 70.3.  Between now and October 23, I'm planning on doing about 4 or 5 smaller races that should help fuel the fire. In less than 3 weeks I compete in my first Olympic distance triathlon at Disco!

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do.  Attitude determines how well you do it." Lou Holtz

No comments:

Post a Comment